Since February 2003 the people of Darfur have suffered relentless, systematic destruction of homes, agricultural land, food stores, livestock and wells.
• 4,000,000 are war-affected (one-half the population of Darfur)
• Thousands of villages have been destroyed
• 2.4 million people are internally displaced
• 230,000 live in refugee camps in Chad
• At least 400,000 civilians have died from violence, disease and malnutrition
DPDO is working to establish a comprehensive archive of the Darfur crisis. This collection will included reports, eyewitness statements, photos, documents, and video gathered from NGOs, human rights groups, government agencies, and individuals that have worked in Sudan over the past six years.
This initiative has been made possible by the generous support of the MacArthur Foundation. www.macfound.org
Benetech www.benetech.org has provided the Martus software and training necessary to create an electronic database of the collected materials.
Contact: [email protected] 202-393-8150